Inspiring Shit: Doutzen Kroes

We all love looking at pretty faces in magazines. I sure do. I'm a great admirer of amazing photography and I feel like photography is a way to become somebody else. To play a part and for those looking at the photographs to dream away in a world that is nothing like her own.

When I was younger, I wanted to be a model. I was even scouted once. Unfortunately I'm a mere 5'5'', so a career as a catwalk queen was not for me. But some people are lucky and tall enough and can make it to the top. We have a lot of supermodels in the world today, but only few relly trigger my attention. I think being beautiful and looking good on pictures is one thing, but to actually use your influence to do good things is another. Hence why I do really like Doutzen Kroes.

Why? Well, first of all, she's Dutch. And whenever a Dutch person makes it big in the rest of the world, I do feel a sense of pride. Secondly, she is absolutely gorgeous. Even with no makeup on, she looks like a star. But the one thing that makes her stand out from others, is that she realises that what she sells is not real. Many young girls want to live the fantasy and feel like they have to look or act a certain way in order to be accepted, but it is completely unrealistic.

'I feel I'm such a big part of that insecurity that some girls might have because of my job, that girls think they have to be that picture. And even boys, they think that that picture exists and it's so frustrating because I don't look like that picture - I wake up not looking like that picture.' - Doutzen Kroes


Apart from making teenagers aware of safe sex (which is very important), Doutzen also makes us all aware that there is no need for us to be size zero. Health and happiness is far more important.

'I'm not a sample size at all,' she says. 'At some shows I know they have been using very young girls who have not gone into the change of the body yet - no hips, no boobs. I'm 28 and I've had a baby. I have a woman's body, and once in a while you run into the fact that things are not fitting the way they should be. But I joke about it and say, "What 13-year-old girl was wearing this?" If they think I'm too fat, I'd rather not do the job - because I am super-healthy and fit and I'm so happy the way I am.'
A lesson we can all take to heart. Don't compromise if it makes you unhappy and be happy just the way you are, whether you look like a model or not. Thanks Doutzen for reminding us. Stay awesome.


1 comment:

  1. I have nominated you for the the Liebster Award as I think that your blog is so cute and I love reading it. Check out what this means here: http://annalouisenicholls.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/the-liebster-award-re-nikki-andrew.html

    Well Done x (p.s. this is not spam)

    ReplyDelete