Chanel No. 5



When I was a little girl, my mother had two perfumes she used to wear quite a lot. Opium by Yves Saint Laurent, and Chanel No. 5. I did not really care about Opium myself, but I was enchanted by the smell of the famous Chanel No. 5, even though back then I had no idea how prestigeous this perfume was. I remember that when my mother was away, I would take her bottle and spray it all over me. Of course my mother would find out about it, as I always left a trail of scent wherever I went, but I did not care. I wanted to feel like a lady, and putting on this perfume made me feel like that.

When I just turned 18, I wanted to treat myself to something special. As I knew No. 5 was a little too mature for me, I went with the younger sister, Coco Mademoiselle, a scent that I have come to love as well. I still have the perfume and after all those years it is still not empty, because I used to only use it for special occasions, but it was my first step to becoming a woman. Or at least that's the way I feel.


A few days ago, before I went to bed, I grabbed my mother's bottle of No. 5 again, and put it on me. Not as much as I did when I was a child, but just enough so I could smell it. Marilyn Monroe used to do it, so why couldn't I? It was soothing to fall asleep with this familiar scent, and days later I could still smell it as I lay in bed. It is not a perfume that fades so easily.

I think No. 5 is my first perfume memory and what a good memory it is too. 

Question: What is your first or fondest perfume memory?

No comments:

Post a Comment